Tuesday, July 24, 2012

skiing and other attempts

 

I am hoping my first attempts at blogging are better than my first at downhill skiing. I wanted to ski so badly probably for all the wrong reasons. The chair lift, the cool goggles, the white-wash wall of snow raining down upon unsuspecting cross country low-lifes at the bottom of the hill. So, I tried. I turned in my 15 bucks and permission slip and loaded the bus. With my purple snow pants zipped to my chin and knit zigzag scarf double knotted, I clipped in my toes and hit the bunny hill. I watched how others grabbed the tow rope and bent the knees. Piece of cake. Only it wasn't. After being dragged up the hill like those little phones on wheels (the ones where the eyes orbit creepishly), I was ready to make my descent. Again, I watched others as they weaved back and forth to their snow-plow grand finale and couldn't imagine it to be too difficult. Wrong again. I applied the falling method of stopping as snowplowing with cross-country skis prooved quite ineffective. So desperate to be a 'ski-ER' was I, that I continued this abuse until permanent damage was done to my tailbone. I liken it to the wear the nub on the toe of a roller skate gets during couples skate.

I'd like to say I wised up after that and stuck to the fresh powder trails through the undulating hills of the Northern Michigan woods, but it gets worse. The chair lifts beckoned me and I was rendered powerless to their lure of adventure. Who lets a junior high girl in cross country skis on a lift?! But that's another blog.

I never did fill the zippers of my Columbia jacket look-alike with lift tickets nor have I ever owned Scott goggles. Even so, I managed to compile a very long list of adventures (and adventure attempts). It's how I learn. It's how I never run out of bed-time stories for my boys or life-lessons for my students. It's where I learn the perfect, unconditional, adventureous love of Jesus. On every trail, bunny hill, tow rope, and chair lift adventure, I have learned of His faithfulness and strength, humility and holiness. And the lessons he crafts out of these adventures are making me into the very same.

 

1 comment:

  1. Holly,
    I love you, and I will follow your blog with loyal abandon!
    (But not, of course, in a creepy stalker way. Because you've probably already got a story about that...)
    Hugs!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete