Tuesday, July 24, 2012

falling and thoughts on falling

Judging by the title, one may assume I have climacophobia (fear of falling...googled it). But I really don't. Not really. Just quite a history of it brought about by mysterious failures on the part of gravity, of course.


It seemed to be functioning normally when my brother and I road our bikes around the forbidden gravel pit. Silly rule. Those dump trucks and diggers could easily see my bright red and silver super awesome BMX bike, AND I had way too many skills to fall into a rock quarry pit.

We were getting ready to ride down Big Gravel Mountain when up pulled the Blue Van. I guess we thought if our tricks were totally rad, our parents wouldn't notice where we were. "Watch this!" and down Paul went. A 'superman no-footer tabletop' trick later, he was at the bottom. My only thought was, "How am I going to beat that?" Their words were strange monosyllabic shouts discouraging me from any attempt to mount my bike while on the mountain. "Pffff, I got this!" It didn't take long for anyone, including me, to see this would not end well. If my memory serves me correctly, I pulled off a 540 liquid sword cliff-hanger with a rocket air tail-whip but somehow the bike landed on me, I landed on my back, and my wind landed somewhere over Pickerel Lake.

Falling is seldom pleasant whether from a bike or otherwise. Fallen relationships, careers, hopes...they incur pain. But in our fear and skepticism of absolutes, I can safely say, always and every time we fall, Jesus knows and cares. He know when a sparrow falls and how much more valuable than a bird are we! (Matt. 10:31). Jesus gives words like persevere, hang-on, continue. His words give life. His life is why I continue to get on my bike and ride.

I am still falling off my bike. I'm still attempting tricks I probably shouldn't. And words of wisdom are still offered by my parents - and complete strangers - But that's another blog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment